Check in at our store on Monterey Beach - 693 Del Monte Avenue NOW open Daily 9:00 to 5:00 both locations
As of June 15, 2021 - our rental program will return to a walk-in basis. No reservations are needed and only pay on arrival. We will still offer very limited & non-refundable morning reservations for open decks kayaks only.
RENTAL RATES - 4 Hours No experience needed for SIT-ON-TOP Kayaks
Sit-on-top DOUBLE KAYAKS - $35 PER PERSON Sit on-top SINGLE KAYAKS -$45 PER PERSON SINGLE STANDUP PADDLEBOARDS -$45 PER PERSON __________________________________________________________________ GENERAL INFO: * Everyone must be a good swimmer * Every child 5 - 12 yrs must be in a double kayak with an adult. * Maximum weight is 250 lbs per person. Rates include an orientation on safety, weather, wildlife, life vest, paddles w/leashes, backrests, optional wetsuits and/or splash jacket. We ask that you do not disturb wildlife (and its the law!) * We recommend paddling in the morning to avoid possible afternoon winds. Get more info on your day with the FAQs below
FISHING KAYAK RENTAL (ON SITE) Specialized single fishing kayak - $65 per day (call for more info) Bring fishing license and your own fishing gear
DRIVEAWAY RENTALS Requires own roof racks, (we do not allow pickup trucks to transport kayaks or SUPS), own straps, kayak or board carriers and $600 per kayak damage deposit). You must know how to tie down your kayaks/boards. Open Deck Double - $150 for 24 hours Open Deck Singles, Fishing Kayaks and Standup Paddleboards) - $130 for 24 hours
Skip the gym and go outside! Paddling is an excellent total body workout with the added bonus of being out in a beautiful, natural environment. Enjoy unlimited kayak or standup paddling at both our Monterey and Elkhorn Slough locations for 30 days. Drop in anytime for a quick get-away! The 30 day pass starts with your first paddle so you can pay on arrival.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT RENTALS IN MONTEREY BAY
.1. How does it work? a. As of June 15 2021, we will return to our rentals on a walk-in basis. No reservations required & you pay on arrival. b. We will still offer a few non-refundable reservations on a very limited basis. c. Park in front of building and check in at the front counter. Sign waivers electronically and head downstairs to pick up gear/change. d. Lock your belongings in your car. Make sure your parking receipt is clearly displayed on your windshield. e. Meet up with our staff again who will escort you to the beach for a mandatory but quick orientation on kayaking safety, weather and local information.* Everyone must be present for a mandatory safety orientation (approx 15 min) on kayaking safety, weather and sensitive marine area and wildlife information f, You can then launch and paddle within the rental area. g. Mornings are usually the calmest time of the day and afternoon winds may limit or cancel rentals.
2. What included and what should I wear/bring ? * We include optional wetsuit and splash jacket. We have private changing rooms and restrooms. * Wear bathing suit, quick drying clothing, windbreaker, sunscreen. Bring a change of clothes and towel to leave in your car * Go barefoot or wear any footwear you don't mind getting wet. Our store sells all the gear you will need!
3. What is the difference between the the Monterey location and Elkhorn Slough? How do I choose? Fortunately, they are both amazing places to paddle and see wildlife so you really can't go wrong at either location! Both places are calm areas suitable for beginners. Both locations are subject to wind on certain days which can make the water choppier and may limit how far you can paddle.
The Monterey location is an exciting ocean experience along the Monterey shoreline, harbor, Fisherman's Wharf and Cannery Row areas. This is the best place to experience the famous Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary with its diverse wildlife and eco-systems. Typically, people will see everything from small marine invertebrates, sea otters, seals, sea lions, the occasional dolphin or whale, shorebirds, and habitats like kelp beds, rocky shorelines and sandy beaches!
Elkhorn Slough at Moss Landing is a 20 minute drive north from Monterey. From our store in North Harbor, you paddle inland into a tidal Estuarine Reserve. Its a quieter area and a great place to see lots of sea otters, harbor seals and birds (especially during spring and fall migrations)! The slough is shallower than Monterey Bay and is surrounded by mud flats and oak hills. There is no landing allowed along the mudbanks throughout the slough.
4. When is the best time to go kayaking during the day? Typically mornings are the calmest time on the water with very little wind but can be cloudier and cooler. Afternoons can be sunnier but windier. If it is too windy or winds are offshore, we may limit the rental area or cancel rentals altogether. Unfortunately it is impossible to predict what will ACTUALLY happen even with the best forecasts! During Nov-March, our "rainy" season, the weather can vary widely so calling the day before will be the most accurate.
5. Do I need to know how to swim? If you capsize, you should be able to swim and have the upper body strength to climb back on your kayak. On the bay, swimming to shore is not always an option. If you are uncomfortable or unsure of your skills, consider a guided tour where you will be accompanied by a guide at all times. Check out our youtube video on re-entering kayaks after a capsize.
6. What about children? • Children must be at least 5 yrs old. Ages 5-thru 12 must be in doubles with adults (children 3yrs + can go on our guided tours). • Kids 13 and up can be in singles or paddleboards. • All minors under 18 must be accompanied by an adult
7. What is an Open Deck (sit-on-top) kayak? What is the difference between singles and doubles? • They are a more stable, self-bailing kayak that you are not enclosed into. If you capsize, they don't fill with water and it is easier to climb back on board (see photos on graphic above). • Doubles are more stable than singles and can be faster with 2 people paddling.
8. Can pregnant women rent kayaks? Yes as long as you are not in your 3rd trimester.
9. Can I bring alcohol? No, we will refuse rentals to anyone under the influence of alcohol/drugs or if you bring them on the kayaks.
10. Is there a weight limit? Yes, 250 lbs per person.
11. How close can I get to sea otters? Five boat lengths is best to avoid disturbing animals. It is illegal to disturb, chase, touch or feed marine mammals who are protected by Federal Law and you may be fined if reported. Read about viewing sea otters and other marine mammals.
12. Will I get wet? Plan on getting a little wet, mostly from splashes and walking into the water! Capsizes are rare put possible. Wetsuits are always included as an option because the water temperature on the bay is 54-58 degrees year round.
13. Do you have lockers for my belongings? Lockers are not available. We recommend locking belongings in your car and if you want, we can hold your car keys. If you arrive by foot or bicycle, there is an area to leave clothing/shoes. Valuables can be held in the office.
14. Are dogs allowed on rental kayaks? Yes. there is no extra charge as long as dogs are under 40 lbs and they fit into a single kayak with 1 person (max total weight limit 250 lbs) or a double kayak with 2 people (max total weight limit is 500 lbs.).
Bring your own life vests for dogs (are available for purchase at the stoes). We also recommend a leash. There are federally protected marine mammals that might get close to your kayak and dogs should not jump into the water to chase them, or harass them in any other way. Owners will be held responsible and might be fined.
If dogs are over 40 lbs, they will need to go in a double with 1 person and be subject to a $30 fee during summers and holiday periods. These limits are set up to ensure safety for all, so please do not ask us to make exceptions.
ABOUT MONTEREY BAY KAYAKS We are a locally owned and operated small business that pioneered eco-tourism in 1985 and has been a leader in kayak recreation and education ever since! We have introduced over 350,000 people to our unique and beautiful area with naturalist led tours, comprehensive rental packages and classes with ACA trained instructors. Our mission is to provide a wonderful and exceptional experience for everyone while fostering stewardship of the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary and the Elkhorn Slough National Estuarine Reserve.